OpenOffice.org 3.0 released
OpenOffice.Org 3.0 is released this monday and it's doing well. As I have seen early this week that due to unexpected download their engineers got to work on their website to manage the load. When I am writing this the website is back to it's normal and they have openoffice.org has recovered from the crash. They managed to allow download open office even when the site was down.
Now when it comes to features I am not able to try much with it but yes I have upgraded from 2.4 to this new release 3.0.
- There is new start center with various applications grouped up.
- Calc can have 3 times more columns then 256 in previous versions (1024 now).
- Microsoft Office 2007 file format support: So now we can open *.docx files from Microsoft Office 2007..!
- Solver and new theme in Calc.
- Native tables in Impress.
- Pretty Notes in the Margin and multiple page views in Writer
I have never tried with XML forms or ODBC connection for database previously but I got connected with my Sybase db and I was able to check all my tables and views from there. It was cool although procedures and triggers were not available but it was nice that we can even design forms in Open Office Database.
More on this.. may be this weekend..