Top free / open-source tools for MySQL Development / Administration
Here is list of great tools for PHP/MySQL
phpMyAdmin is a tool written in PHP intended to handle the administration of MySQL over the Web. Currently it can create and drop databases, create/drop/alter tables, delete/edit/add fields, execute any SQL statement, manage keys on fields.
Most basic and must have tool and everyone is aware of it associated with PHP/MySQL and your shared web host must be providing you this tool to manage your databases on the web.
Type: Web based/OpenSource
HeidiSQL is an easy-to-use interface and a "working-horse" for web-developers using the popular MySQL-Database. It allows you to manage and browse your databases and tables from an intuitive Windows® interface. With HeidiSQL you will also be able to
- generate nice SQL-exports
- synchronize tables between two databases
- manage user-privileges
- import text-files
- export table-data as CSV, HTML and XML
- browse and edit table-data using a comfortable grid
- batch-insert ascii or binary files into tables
- write queries with syntax-highlighting (next version will have also code-completion)
- monitor and kill client-processes
- connect to servers via commandline
- and much more
HeidiSQL is the best desktop based MySQL Administration tool I have ever used and I am in love with it since I have started using it. In my opinion it even beats many top selling commercial MySQL GUIs too.
MySQL management tools from the MySQL itself, they are holding lot of potential and one of the must have with kind of tools.
MySQL GUI Tools include
- MySQL Administrator
- MySQL Query Browser
- MySQL Migration Toolkit
Available for Windows/Mac/Linux platform.
Type: Desktop/ (GPL / commercial) Dual licensing.
4. MyDB Studio
MyDB Studio is a complete collection of powerful tools for MySQL Server administration.
Major features are listed below from their website.
- SSH tunneling to secure your connections which allows you to connect even your host doesn't allow you remote access connection.
- Admin privileges users with User Manager
- Reload Server
- Flush internal caches of MySQL uses
- View/Kill server process
- Export Server Variables in XML, Excel, Word, CSV
- Create/Modify/Delete Database
- Backup/Restore database
- Export Database Table info in XML, Excel, Word
- Synchronise your database
- Create complete Php scripts
- Search in MySQL manual with MyDB Studio Embed Browser
SQL-Front is a graphical GUI for the MySQL database. SQL-Front presents a uniform front-end for all of your current database projects. In practice, you can work with the database of your choice after only a few clicks.
It helps to:
- Define and manage the database-structure, import data, editing data is now simple with this full-featured program. For designers with only a basic grasp of databases, this program is the way to go to make you independent of SQL gurus.
- SQL-Front makes working with MySQL databases a snap without hiding the language from the user. The built-in SQL Editor provides syntax highlighting and context sensitive help, so even working with SQL commands and scripts will be a matter of convenience.
One moe good GUI tool for MySQL. SQLyog comes with Enterprise license mode too with some more ability. Other commercial products from SQLyog includes
- SQLyog MySQL GUI - Enterprise Edition
- MONyog MySQL Monitor and Advisor
From both above later MONyog Monitor and Advisor has more attracted me as it provides nice statics and chart and tips/advises for optimizing MySQL performance. Actually it is worth having licensed administration tool for DBAs.